The holidays are fast approaching and the City of Coral Gables invites you to experience the magic of the season at a variety of events throughout December. In addition to the many events planned, Miracle Mile will welcome visitors with holiday banners, lights and a large tree on Giralda Plaza.
“The wonder of the holiday season is upon us,” said Mayor Vince Lago. “Enjoy an illuminated Miracle Mile where you can savor world-class dining, shop at local boutiques and participate in a winter wonderland for the whole family to enjoy.”
Mark your calendar for these holiday events:
- Kick off the season at the Merrick Festival Caroling Competition, Nov. 29 through Dec. 3 at 550 Biltmore Way. Local high schoolers will perform some of the most iconic carols. Learn more.
- Join Santa for the annual Holiday Tree Lighting in front of City Hall at Merrick “Holiday” Park, 405 Biltmore Way, on Friday, Dec. 1. Event starts at 6 p.m. Tree is lit at 7 p.m. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 305-460-5600.
- Frolic in a winter wonderland at Merrick “Holiday” Park in front of City Hall at 405 Biltmore Way, which opens as the Holiday tree is lit on Friday, Dec. 1 and runs through Jan. 7. The seasonal holiday playground is open to children of all ages to enjoy rides and play amidst picturesque holiday-inspired backdrops. For more information, email email@example.com or call 305-460-5600.
- Keep the holiday cheer going as you walk to and from the Coral Gables Holiday Tree Lighting. The First United Methodist Church of Coral Gables will present the second annual Nativity Festivity on Friday, Dec. 1, at 6 p.m. at 536 Coral Way featuring food, music, arts, crafts and a petting zoo. Free parking is available across the street from the Sanctuary, at the northwest corner of Coral Way and Hernando Street.
- Wave to Santa Claus on a Fire Truck as he and his helpers ride through the streets of Coral Gables on Saturday, Dec. 2, and Sunday, Dec. 3. As part of this 13-year tradition, Coral Gables firefighters transport Santa on several routes around the city and distribute candy canes to children eagerly awaiting his arrival.
- Sing along with carolers dressed in festive attire as they stroll through Downtown Coral Gables singing holiday tunes from 7 to 9 p.m., Dec. 7, 8, 14, 15 and 16.
- Celebrate “100 Years of History” as you get an insider’s peek at a selection of Coral Gables homes built in 1923 during the Villagers’ much loved Holiday House Tour on Saturday, Dec. 9 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Learn more and purchase tickets.
- Keep the tradition alive as you watch the 75th annual Miracle on the Mile Parade presented by the Junior Orange Bowl on Sunday, Dec. 10, at 5 p.m. Join the fun as floats, marching bands and performers parade on Miracle Mile. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 305-662-1210.
- Revel in the peace of the holiday season at the annual Festival of Lights Chanukah Celebration on Sunday, Dec. 10, from 3 to 5:30 p.m. at Ponce Circle Park, 2800 Ponce de Leon Blvd. The celebration features the lighting of the menorah, a fire truck parade, a chocolate gelt drop and tasty seasonal treats. Coral Gables firefighters will affix a large menorah to their truck and a dreidel mascot will shower down chocolate gelt (coins) to all.
- Cross off names from your shopping list at the Holiday Sip & Shop on Thursday, Dec. 14. This fun-filled evening on Miracle Mile gives participants the chance to savor wines from Uruguay while shopping at their favorite Downtown Coral Gables boutiques. Purchase tickets.
- Savor the sweetness of the holidays at Hot Chocolate with Santa on Saturday, Dec. 16, and Sunday, Dec. 17, at 9:30 a.m. at Holiday Park, 405 Biltmore Way. Work on holiday crafts and have your picture taken with Santa. A City of Coral Gables resident exclusive event, reservations are required. For more information, email email@example.com or call 305-460-5600.
- Rev up your holiday spirit on Sunday, Dec. 17, from 9 a.m. to noon at the inaugural Cars & Santa car show featuring a display of vintage cars, pictures with Santa, a Polar Express miniature train and more at the Coral Gables Country Club, 990 Alhambra Circle. Register your vehicle.
- Soak up the spirit of Christmas past at the Coral Gables Merrick House Holiday Celebration. The historic home of city founder George Merrick will open its doors to the community to celebrate the holidays with Santa and carolers on Sunday, Dec. 17, at 2 p.m. The festive open house event at 907 Coral Way is organized by the Coral Gables Merrick House Governing Board. For more information, contact the Historical Resources Department at 305-460-5093.
For those attending the December holiday events, there are multiple valet stands on Miracle Mile and self-parking is available at four municipal garages (two located on Andalusia and two located on Aragon). The Coral Gables Trolley also operates Monday through Saturday, 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. with seamless connections to the Douglas Road Metrorail Station. The Downtown Express, a new special trolley route, is offered on Saturdays from 2 to 10 p.m. connecting South Gables and the University of Miami to downtown Coral Gables. Freebee service is also available daily. Learn more.