Starting a Business in Coral Gables

Guidance on permits and taxes when starting a business in Coral Gables

Development Services


The City of Coral Gables is committed to promoting and helping new businesses by creating a business-friendly environment. The following is a step-by-step guide to assist you in starting your business. We are here to assist you every step of the way.

Certificate of Use

Certificate of Use [PDF]

Before signing a lease or purchasing property in the City of Coral Gables, prospective business owners should first apply for a Certificate of Use. This will ensure that the proposed use at a specific location complies with the city's zoning, parking and concurrency requirements. Certificates of Use must be renewed annually via web

Where to Apply or Renew:

Concurrency Administrator, Planning and Zoning Division, 405 Biltmore Way

Office Hours:
7:30 a.m. - 3:15 p.m., Monday - Friday, excluding holidays.

Certificate of Use Fees:
$114.19, checks made payable to “City of Coral Gables”

For questions regarding Certificate of Use contact the Concurrency Administrator at 305-460-5269.


If the application does not involve a change of use or occupancy, it will be reviewed by the Concurrency Administrator. Once approved, the Development Services Department and the Fire Department will conduct fire, mechanical, electrical and plumbing inspections to check for compliance with the Florida Building Code. The application needs to pass all final inspections and requires final approval by the Building Official. The process takes an average of seven to ten working days.

If the application involves a change of use or occupancy (from a retail to restaurant use, for example), it will be reviewed by the Development Review Committee. Composed of staff members, the committee meets monthly to review plans for technical sufficiency and will advise you whether other city boards will be involved such as the Board of Architects (for proposed signage and exterior building change), the Planning and Zoning Board and City Commission (for a conditional use), or Board of Adjustment (for a variance). For more information about applying for review by the advisory boards, contact the City Planner at 305-460-5214.

Local Business Tax and Building Permits will not be issued until the applicant has been issued a Certificate of Use.

Local Business Tax

Once a Certificate of Use has been approved, a new business must also obtain an annual local business tax from both the City of Coral Gables and Miami-Dade County.

Where to Apply:

The Finance Department, Local Business Tax Division, 338 Minorca Ave., 1st Floor. 

Office Hours:
8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday, excluding holidays.

The fee varies by classification. Below is a list of all Local Business Tax fees.

Fee Schedule as 10-1-2023 [PDF]

What You Will Need to Provide on Local Business Tax Applications

  • Social Security Number
  • Federal employer I.D. number
  • State License/Bar number
  • Owner/Corporation Name
  • Trade Name/Doing Business As (DBA)
  • Name of corporate officers
  • Cost value of stock carried
  • Number of chairs/seats (for restaurants and movie theaters)
  • Number of employees

For questions regarding local business taxes, contact the Local Business Tax Clerk at the email or call 305-460-5296.

Businesses and institutions can request a nonprofit fee exemption if they are a religious, nonprofit educational or a charitable nonprofit organization. Please complete the application and submit it to with the proper supporting documentation.

Where to Apply for a County Local Business Tax:

Applications for Miami-Dade County Local Business Taxes are made through the Miami-Dade County Tax Collector's Office, Local Business Tax Division, 200 NW 2nd Ave., Miami. For more information call 305-270-4949 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday, excluding holidays.

Temporary Window Wraps

In order to enhance the aesthetic appearance of the city’s commercial areas, unoccupied and/or vacant storefronts on the ground floor must be covered by temporary window wraps.

Temporary Window Wrap Style Guide for Property Owners [PDF] Temporary Window Wrap Style Guide for Businesses [PDF]


A permit is required for all renovation projects. Please click below to begin.