Have any questions? Check our FAQs for Sidewalk Café Permits.
- Display an issued certificate at the place of business.
- Maintain the length of the restaurant frontage, unless approved during permitting.
- Limit width/depth of sidewalk café on Giralda to 15 feet (in order to provide 10 feet clear of centerline of Giralda).
- Maintain a minimum clearance of 5 feet (10 feet on Miracle Mile and Giralda Plaza) from all obstructions (building, curb line, etc.).
- Provide a clear and unobstructed path of at least 5 feet extending from the entrance of the restaurant through the sidewalk café.
- Do not have perimeter structures (fences, railings, planters, etc.) that restrict pedestrian circulation or discourage public use of tables or chairs.
- Planters may only be utilized on Miracle Mile as buffers from vehicular traffic. Planters are prohibited on Giralda Plaza. Artificial planting materials are prohibited.
- Do not include any signage on the public portion of the property, including signage on umbrellas.
- Allow access to any bus stop, crosswalk, public seating, intersections, service easements, handicap facilities, or adjacent establishments.
- Be clean and in good repair, with trash, litter, and gum removed daily, including the sidewalk area, curb, and gutter.
- Can not be anchored/restrained visibly as with a chain, rope, or wire.
- Meet the requirements for nighttime uses in Sec. 3-415 of the Zoning Code.
- Do not stack or pile chairs in the right of way on Miracle Mile or Giralda Plaza.
- Do not include the storage of dishes, silverware, or other similar equipment on Miracle Mile or Giralda Plaza during non-business hours.
- Do not include any food displays, food preparation, storage, refrigeration apparatus, or fire apparatus in the right of way on Miracle Mile or Giralda Plaza.
- Do not include umbrellas clipped, zipped, or fastened together.
- Renew permit biannually with the $15 per square foot fee.
- Download the following: Restrictive Covenant and Insurance Requirements [PDF], Pre-Approved Furniture [PDF]
- Select proposed outdoor furniture (pre-approved options or unique furniture).
- Sketch a site plan that shows the locations of proposed tables, chairs, umbrellas, plants, etc. on sidewalk.
- Create an interior floor plan illustrating restroom facilities, and interior and exterior occupant load.
- Refer to Zoning Code Section 3-315: Restaurant, open-air dining at ground level and other location, and Section E.1: Business Improvement Overlay District (BIOD) for specific provisions for restaurants on Miracle Mile and Giralda Plaza.
- Since the Sidewalk Café is located on the public right-of-way, a "Landlord/Tenant or Property Owner’s Encroachment & Restrictive Covenant" is required to be submitted.
- Upload covenant for City Attorney’s approval via online submission.
- Submit the entire Sidewalk Café application (site plan, interior floor plan, furniture selection, proof of insurance, and Landlord/Tenant or Property Owner’s Encroachment & Restrictive Covenant) online for the "Zoning Commercial - Sidewalk Cafes" permit on EnerGov
- Pay the $250 upfront application fee
*Use the address of the building (may not be the restaurant's address) or the folio/parcel number to locate the property correctly on EnerGov. This information can be found on the County's Property Appraiser Website
- Respond to any comments or additional DERM requirements during the permit review
- Pay the $15 per square foot of sidewalk area used by the tables, chairs, umbrellas, etc.
- Display issued permit card / certificate after scheduled inspections