Police Chief's Message
Holiday Safety Tips
The holiday season is always a special time of year and it is also a time when busy people become careless and vulnerable to theft and other holiday crime. We can never be too careful, too prepared or too aware. Please share some of the tips with family, friends and neighbors. The Coral Gables Police Department wishes you a safe, happy and peaceful holiday season.
- Keep all car doors locked and windows closed while in or out of your car. Set your alarm or use an anti-theft device.
- Do not leave packages or valuables on the seat of your car. This creates a temptation for thieves. If you must leave something in the car, lock it in the trunk.
- Protect your PIN by shielding the ATM keypad from anyone who is standing near you.
- Shop during daylight hours whenever possible. If you must shop at night, go with a friend or family member.
- Dress casually and comfortably, avoid wearing expensive jewelry, keep cash in your front pocket.
- Keep a record of all of your credit card numbers in a safe place at home.
- Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason. At this time of year, "con-artists" may try various methods of distracting you with the intention of taking your money or belongings.
- Teach your child to go to a store clerk and ask for help in case your child is separated from you.
- Teach children to stay close to you at all times while shopping.
- Teach children their full name, address and telephone number to give to police officers or mall security. Teach children to immediately inform you if a stranger is bothering them.
- Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave the house, even for a few minutes.
- When leaving home for an extended time, have a neighbor or family member watch your house and pick up your newspapers and mail.
- Indoor and outdoor lights should be on an automatic timer.
- Leave a radio or television on so the house looks and sounds occupied.
Edward J. Hudak Jr.
Chief of Police
City of Coral Gables
Follow us on
Quick Response Burglary Prevention Program
Burglary Prevention Program Application Form