What are Pet Waste Stations?
- The City of Coral Gables has instituted the use of pet waste stations to provide residents with an easy way to dispose of their pet waste. Each pet waste station is commercial grade and made from rust proof materials. Each station contains a sealed trash chute to prevent odor and pests and a dispenser that contains bags for easy disposal of dog waste. The City is responsible for regular pick up of the pet waste stations.
Where can pet waste stations be placed?
- Pet waste stations are placed in the following locations: open spaces, parks, recreation facilities, public rights of way, and plazas, after public input and provided they meet specific criteria as noted below. It should be noted pet waste stations are for neighborhoods, not a specific building.
How is a location chosen for a pet waste station?
The location for a dog station is chosen utilizing several factors:
- The location must meet the criteria of allowable locations.
- The location must be requested either through resident input or City staff observation.
- Location must be accessible for all populations. Stations may not be be placed in open lots or other areas without an accessibility point.
- There will be a review by the City Parks and Recreation staff once a location is requested. Staff must find that the location shows a demonstrated need for a pet waste station. Different demonstrated needs may include accumulation of pet waste bags in nearby trash swales, documentation of a large amount of pets in the area, or verified complaints of pet waste within resident properties.
What is the process for requesting a pet station?
- A pet station can be requested by any City resident. Residents can contact the Community Recreation Department at
(305) 460-5620 or an online request can be made by emailing Petpoo@coralgables.com
- Once a request is made, Parks Division staff will observe the location to determine the demonstrated need.
- Parks Division staff will determine location installation through input from neighborhood residents for public parks and open spaces, and from those residents directly affected in cases of a pet waste installation on public right of ways.
How are the Pet Waste Stations Maintained?
- City Park Service Attendants will be responsible for the maintenance of the stations.
- All stations located at parks and open spaces will be inspected daily and emptied as needed, as part of the trash maintenance duties performed daily at all parks and open spaces.
- Stations on public right of ways will be inspected twice weekly and emptied as needed.
- Every quarter, staff will review maintenance schedule and revise for additional maintenance if needed at any right of way stations.
- Any resident can report maintenance issues of the stations at (305) 460-5620 or online at Petpoo@coralgables.com