City Clerk : Billy Y. Urquia
Billy Y. Urquia was appointed City Clerk on January 1, 2019. He is one of the three constitutional officers appointed by the City Commission and serves as the Corporate Secretary to the Municipal Corporation, Secretary to the City Commission, Records Custodian and Supervisor of Elections for the City of Coral Gables.
Mr. Urquia served as Deputy City Clerk from October 2008 through December 2018. In this capacity, he spearheaded and supervised the installation of a new state-of-the-art Passport Acceptance Facility which has been nationally recognized by the U.S. Department of State as one of its best. During Mr. Urquia 15 year tenure at the City of Coral Gables he also served as the Business Applications Developer tasked with the implementation of enterprise software such as Legistar and Hewlett Packard Content Manager. Mr. Urquia attended Florida International University, where he received a Bachelor of Business Administration and a Master of Science in Management of Information Systems. His professional memberships include Miami-Dade County Municipal Clerk’s Association, the Florida Association of City Clerks and the International Institute of Municipal Clerks.
The Office of the City Clerk provides assistance with the following responsibilities:
- The primary vision of the Office of the City Clerk is to become a learning laboratory, an official resource center and the premier records custodian, utilizing technology where it may be advantageous to do so, to safeguard a vital part of our City’s heritage.
- The Office of the City Clerk provides assistance with the following responsibilities:
- Attest official contracts, agreements and official documents (including legislation).
- Oversees records management, retention and destruction in accordance with Florida Statutes, and the Florida Administrative Code.
- Draft’s ceremonial documents (including but not limited to commendations, proclamations, certificates of appreciation, resolutions of condolence, and scrolls of friendship.)
- Executes records and distributes Ordinances and Resolutions.
- Maintains an audio record of board proceedings, including but not limited to Commission, as well as Boards and Committee Advisory meetings.
- Maintains and updates our City Code.
- Provides professional passport acceptance facility competency, through public partnership with the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, in reviewing all necessary documents attesting to the citizenship and identity of the holder, collecting the necessary fees, and administration of an oath, while realizing a revenue source from same, in connection with our U.S. government travel documents.
- Provides professional leadership and knowledge consistent with the functional requirements of the appointed positions, defined under both State law, County and City Code.
- Promotes and encourage the applicability of those technological applications which link application to business process, to end user (people), thus supporting our core functions and user needs, while concomitantly providing service applications desired by our external stakeholders.
Deputy City Clerk : Yolande A. Davis (Yoli)
Assistant City Clerk : Desiree Liguori
Public Records Coordinator : Cynthia Garcia
Agenda Coordinator : Imelys Sansores
Administrative Assistant : Susan DaCosta