Charles K. Wu, AICP CUD, CNU-A
Interim Director, Development Services
About Development Services
The Development Services Department oversees the Planning & Zoning, Building, and Code Enforcement Divisions. The Department provides customer friendly services including the review, processing, and issuance of permits and assurance that construction complies with all applicable codes.
- Effective April 17, 2017, the City Commission approved restriction on construction work hours. See here for details.
- Effective Oct. 13, 2015, the City Commission approved certain permit fee changes such as reduction of permit fee for projects less than $500 of construction value; waiving zoning permits for certain minor residential projects; waiver permit fees for certain senior homesteaded property owners to remedy a code violation; and waiver of permit fee to repair property due to the commission of a crime. See here for details.
- Effective March 29, 2016, the City Commission passed an ordinance requiring construction sites to post a “No Trespassing” sign. The sign is required to have a project manager’s contact information to verify whether persons on site have the authority to be there. This sign is required to be posted at each construction fence opening, and when a construction fence is not provided, at the opening of the structure. Failure to post the required sign constitutes a City Code violation subject to a fine of $100 per day.
- The City of Coral Gables is proud to introduce the “Mobile Permit Service” from the
Development Services Department. This program is dedicated to residents who may
need special assistance in obtaining permits for home improvement projects
with particular focus on our seniors and our residents with limited mobility.
Residents can now contact a city representative to meet at their home in
order to obtain a permit. Click here for additional information.
- You can now find online the list of inspections scheduled for today. Click here to find out where you are on the list of today's inspections.
- In the Summer of 2015, the Development Services Department held a series of Focus Group discussions to address the City’s building permit review process. The result is a Focus Group Action Plan proposed to address the comments and feedback received from those meetings. An illustration summarizing the Department’s Action Plan can be found by clicking this link Focus Group Results.
- Effective September 23rd, 2014 the City of Coral Gables now requires a tree survey and tree protection plan when applying for an application for Demolition permits, Development Review Committee and Board of Architects. (Resolution 2015-152)
- Effective September 11, 2014, the City Commission clarified that the following specific roof tiles are not required to be cleaned: handmade clay, cap and pan tile; or copper roofing materials. The purpose is to allow these roofing materials to age naturally. Please be advised that these roofing materials must still be maintained so that no vegetation is established. Details of this policy is attached. (Resolution 2014-184)
City of Coral Gables
Development Services Department
405 Biltmore Way, Third Floor
Coral Gables, FL 33134