Skip to page body Home Government About Coral Gables Attractions Doing Business City Services I Want To...

Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

What is the Board of Architects application procedure
All exterior alteration permits require the Board of Architects approval prior to the issuance of the Building Permit. A completed Board of Architects Application must be provided.
I have a public information request, to whom do I send it to, and what is the cost?

You may come to the City Attorney's Office and complete a Public Records Request form or complete the form and fax it. The charges are listed on the form. You will receive a phone call when the items are ready to be picked up and inform you of the price.

What is the City's current millage rate?
The current millage rate is 5.629.
Board of Architects submittal deadlines
Submittals for review on any given Thursday, paying the prescribed FEE, must be made not later than the previous Friday at Noon.
Submittals for review on any given Thursday, paying an additional LATE FEE, must submitted not later than the previous Monday at Noon.
How long does it take for a Bond to be released?

Bond refunds are processed when the permit has a “final” status. The Finance Department mails a check to the applicant listed on the permit in approximately 10 working days after the refund has been processed by Development Services Department. For questions regarding bond refunds, please click here.

How can I view a copy of the budget?

The Budget is available online at

Can you recommend an attorney to me?
We are not allowed to recommend attorneys, but refer callers to the Florida Bar’s Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-342-8011.
If a covenant is a Unity of Title, do I provide an Opinion of Title?

The Opinion of Title is only required if the property has been owned for more than one year and half from the date the covenant is submitted.

If the property has been owned for less than one year and half, please submit the following:

- recorded warranty deed    - property tax statement    - utility bill

What do I need to show the City Attorney in order to obtain approval of a covenant?
Always have one fully executed original of each covenant, together with the filing fee (Cashier’s Check or Money Order) payable to the City of Coral Gables, in addition to the following specific requirements depending on the type of covenant that is needed: If a covenant is for an encroachment over public right-of-way (driveway, landscaping, sign or awning etc...), please follow the instructions provided in the link for the City of Coral Gables Encroachment & Restrictive Covenant Agreements Insurance Requirements.
Can the City Attorney provide legal advice to a citizen, or handle a legal matter on an individual’s behalf?
The City Attorney represents the City of Coral Gables City Commission and its administration in all legal matters, and therefore, it would be unethical and inappropriate to provide legal advice in private matters. If a citizen is seeking legal advice in a private legal matter, we suggest they contact their own attorney.
Does the City handle landlord/tenant matters?
Miami-Dade County has jurisdiction over landlord/tenant matters may be reached at 305-375-5656. For information on eviction procedures, contact the Dade County Evictions Section at 305-375-1025.
Where is the Coral Gables Branch of the Dade County Court?
The Coral Gables Branch is located at 3100 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Coral Gables, Florida 33134, and their telephone number is 305-275-1155.
What are the hours of the City Attorney’s Office?
The Office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday.
What is the fax number of the City Attorney’s Office?
Where can I obtain a copy of the City's Annual Financial Report?

A copy of the City's Annual Financial Report is available online at,  or by coming to our office, City Hall, Finance Department, 405 Biltmore Way, Coral Gables, FL  33134.

What are your operating hours?

Permit Counter
7:30am - 3:30pm

Board of Architects
7:30am – 3:30pm

7:30am – 3:30pm

7:30am – 3:00pm

Code Enforcement
7:30am – 3:30pm

8:00am – 8:30am

7:30am – 12:00pm

I need a Resolution, Ordinance and/or Meeting Minutes, where can I obtain this information?
You may obtain a copy of any Ordinance, Resolution or Meeting Minutes by contacting the City Clerk's Office or by visiting oyr Public Record Research webpage.
I have a business in Coral Gables. How can I be sure that I am not inadvertently violating any Fire Safety Codes, and that my customers and employees will be safe in case of fire?

Once a year each commercial establishment, and all multi-family dwellings (such condominiums and apartment buildings) are inspected for potential life safety hazards, such as exits, lightning, extinguishers, exposed wiring, etc. Violations are noted and a list given to the business owner/manager with a time limit for correcting deficiencies/violations. Upon re-inspection, deficiencies/violations which have not been corrected are referred to the Fire Marshal. The Fire Marshal begins the procedure necessary to ensure fire safety compliance.

When do I need to have my Fire Extinguisher checked or replaced?

An existing Fire Extinguisher in a business must be checked and tagged at least once a year, which can be done by private Fire Equipment companies found in the Yellow Pages.  A fire extinguisher (in a home or business) should be replaced at least every five to eight years depending on the type.  Be sure to check the paperwork that came with your purchase.  A new fire extinguisher can be purchased at any local hardware or home improvement store.

A fire extinguisher should always be replaced after use.

How do I obtain a Fire Permit for work in Coral Gables?

A Fire Permit for work in Coral Gables can be obtained from the Fire Prevention Office. The application must be completed indicating the type of permit required. The completed application must be accompanied by three (3) sets of sealed plans.  Please include and a check payable to the City of Coral Gables for the appropriate amount.

Call the Fire Prevention office at 305-460-5563 for any questions or concerns.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9