The City of Coral Gables Information technology Department (CGIT) has four operational divisions:
Supervisor: Lemay Ramos
- Applications & Programming - Develops and manages all software applications for the enterprise. The IT department maintains and supports more than 200 home-grown programs and off-the-shelf applications, including specialized products for the enterprise, public safety and community services. Many applications and smart apps are used to deliver services for residents and businesses in Coral Gables. They provide day to day operational capability by front line city staff in Finance, Building and Permitting, Economic Development, Police and Fire, and Community Services. These applications require extensive network and systems support in order that staff have continuous access to the software and the information to provide needed services to our customers and constituents. And, the records and data used and created with these applications needs to be made secure and safe; as well as properly maintained and backed up.
- Business Analysis and Systems Engineering - Provides solutions to the City using Business Intelligence (BI) information technology and tools. This includes analysis, plans, systems engineering and functions for enhancing public safety and business processes, operations and information process flow.
Customer Support & GIS
Supervisor: Mark Hebert
- Help Desk - Receives and manages all inbound calls for IT Service. They assist internal and external customers by providing phone support and remote customer support. They assign and dispatch field service staff for onsite response. The Service Desk retains ownership and tracks all calls until an issue is resolved. Call volume at the help desk exceeds 100 service request or incident reports per week. All these calls must be assessed and handled on the first contact, as practical. Otherwise, the call is escalated to one of the other IT divisions for scheduling and resolution. Help desk staff continue to manage and track each call, regardless of escalation, and they ensure that calls are responded to and resolved in an expedient and timely manner.
- Field Service - Responsible for supporting the day to day operations of all city departments; providing high quality onsite customer service and technical expertise. They work to resolve many kinds of PC, telecommunication and network issues. Many IT calls for service and reports of incidents can be handled by Help Desk staff over the phone or by email. But, when the situation requires a response escalation, staff must be resourced from one of the operation's divisions in IT and redirected to the customer site, or incident location.
- GIS - Manages the business, culture, and organization of geographic information products, across the enterprise. Traditionally, for many customers, GIS has meant maps. In the Coral Gables IT department, GIS is an analytical and intelligence tool that can provide insights into data to understand trends, correlate interactions, and support group collaboration. GIS is spatial analysis through the manipulation of spatial data, the application of statistical analysis, and the creation of spatial models. The results of these efforts are displayed in maps, charts, graphs, web portals, apps and spreadsheets than assist stakeholders and executives with actionable information that supports key operations and fulfillment of customer requests.
- Content Management – Responsible for designing, developing and maintaining digital content management systems such as Web sites, Mobile Apps, Digital Signage, Social Media systems, Collaboration platforms, and other systems.
Supervisor: Ayanes Apolinar
- Servers and Clients - Designs, engineers, analyzes and supports server and client infrastructure and high-availability. This includes desktop and mobile computer hardware, tablets and smartphones devices, operating systems, system management utilities, Internet of Things (IoT) and client-server infrastructure. Systems division maintains and supports over 1,000 end-customer devices for office desktop computing, and mobile in-field computers. This include nearly 200 devices wirelessly connect to the city network for Police and Fire personnel conducting public safety operations.
- Databases and Storage - Designs, engineers, and supports database and storage system infrastructure and high-availability. This includes databases, data backup systems and processes, centralized storage systems, smart city data marketplace, and data infrastructure. Systems orchestrates and continually maintain hundreds of physical and virtual servers running mission critical applications for the enterprise and department-level programs vital to serving resident and business needs in Coral Gables. Underpinning the applications on those servers are nearly 100 databases running under Microsoft SQL licensing in a robust, high-capacity, high-availability to the data on the servers. These services include all the hardware, connectivity, and redundancy to support daily data backups, off-site storage, on-site and remote failover capability, disaster recovery and off-site implementation for critical operations staffing.
- Cloud computing and Virtualization – the scope of systems includes private and external cloud services, server and client virtualization and hyper-convergence systems that provide a platform for a smart city ecosystem, reduce infrastructure footprint, increase interoperability, scalability, mobility, accessibility and availability of systems, services and applications.
Network & Telecommunications
Supervisor: Gisela Rodriguez
- Network and Security - Designs, engineers, implements and manages networking infrastructure, high-availability and cybersecurity. This includes WAN/LAN, Intranet/Internet/Extranet, CCTV and ALPR systems, voice, data and video network equipment, wireless and wired networks, and physical security systems.
- Telecommunications – Support and manages more than 200 networks connection and endpoint devices, that include all switches and routers for a diverse, multi-campus, multi-facility enterprise. Telecom division designs, engineers, implements, manages telecommunication infrastructure, services and high-availability. This includes voice, data and video circuits, wireless and wired links, smart city IoT nodes and gateways, 911 PSAP, fiber optics network, telephony systems, SCADA telemetry, telecommunications towers, I.T. environmental and facilities maintenance. For telephony Telecom support a full call manager system across the enterprise with nearly 300 devices on office desk throughout our service domain, ensuring call quality, voicemail service, and switchboard/call transfer and conference call capabilities.
Director: Raimundo Rodulfo
Assistant Director: Nelson Gonzalez